Re: block: don't check request size in blk_cloned_rq_check_limits()

On 06/11/2016 01:06 PM, Martin K. Petersen wrote:
"Hannes" == Hannes Reinecke <hare@xxxxxxx> writes:

Hannes> Because we're checking the wrong limit.

The original code checked that the request was smaller than both
max_sectors and max_hw_sectors so it would have failed here as well.

Hannes> blk_queue_get_max_sectors() is checking limits.max_sectors(),
Hannes> but the requests are already fully formed and can extend up to
Hannes> limits.max_hw_sectors().

We should not be issuing REQ_TYPE_FS requests larger than max_sectors.
How did we get here?

Well, the primary issue is that 'blk_cloned_rq_check_limits()' doesn't check for BLOCK_PC, so this particular check would be applied for every request.

But as it turns out, even adding a check for BLOCK_PC doesn't help, so we're indeed seeing REQ_TYPE_FS requests with larger max_sector counts.

As to _why_ this happens I frankly have no idea. I have been staring at this particular code for over a year now (I've got another bug pending where we hit the _other_ if clause), but to no avail. So I've resolved to drop the check altogether, seeing that max_sector size is _not_ something which gets changed during failover. Therefore if the max_sector count is wrong for the cloned request it was already wrong for the original request, and we should've errored it out far earlier. The max_segments count, OTOH, _might_ change during failover (different hardware has different max_segments setting, and this is being changed during sg mapping), so there is some value to be had from testing it here.

Cheers,

Hannes
hare@xxxxxxx			      +49 911 74053 688