Re: scsi_common: Modify SMR device type to reflect SCSI specification

On Sat, 2016-05-21 at 20:58 -0500, Petros Koutoupis wrote:
> This change is purely cosmetic but we should adjust device type 0x14
> to reflect the definition given in the SCSI specification standard
> (SPC -5).
>
> Implying Direct-Access assumes that the device supports the
> traditional Direct-Access command set when Host Managed Zoned Block
> Devices support a subset of that command set with a few zone specific
> additions. Please refer to the ZBC for details.

This string is output via an sdev_printk.  Technically, that makes it a
an ABI for stuff that does log parsing.  It's only a weak ABI because
logs are somewhat changeable so it's not that we can't do this, but I'd
like a good reason before doing it.

Can you explain why you want do do this? ... your change log is very
vague.  I think it's because you think we should more closely reflect
the language in table 148 (peripheral device type field) but that's not
very convincing because none of the rest of our definitions exactly
reflect that language either.  Plus the current definition reflects how
RBC devices are presented, so it seems logical.

James