Re: QoS for iSCSI target?

On Fri, 2016-04-01 at 12:35 -0600, Chris Friesen wrote:
> On 03/31/2016 01:05 AM, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:

> >> On a slightly different note, is there any way to throttle or limit the overall
> >> bandwidth consumed by the iSCSI target in the kernel?  I'd like to ensure that
> >> the iSCSI traffic doesn't completely swamp the host accesses to the same block
> >> device.
> >>
> >> I suppose I could do networking-based traffic shaping, but are there any
> >> controls in the block IO subsystem?
> >>

> > On a individual block_device backend basis, block cgroups is the
> > preferred method for doing this.
> >
> > Note that any rate limiting imposed by block cgroups is subject to the
> > current se_node_acl->queue_depth enforced across all LUNs within a given
> > iscsi session.
>

> How would I use cgroups with the kernel iSCSI target?  Is there a set of kernel
> threads dedicated to the iSCSI target that I can assign to a particular group?

block cgroups can set I/O throttling (bandwidth + IOPs) limits for any
normal struct block_device.

These values are configured via blkio.throttle.* resource class, and the
limits are imposed independently of the block_device's association with
target_core_mod backend driver export.  Namely:

    blkio.throttle.write_iops_device
    blkio.throttle.read_iops_device
    blkio.throttle.write_bps_device
    blkio.throttle.read_bdp_device

Some examples using these values, plus more blkio.* info is here:
http://events.linuxfoundation.org/sites/events/files/slides/cgroups_0.pdf.