Re: st driver doesn't seem to grok LTO partitioning

> On 29.12.2015, at 18.59, Emmanuel Florac <eflorac@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> Le Fri, 25 Dec 2015 17:53:46 +0200 (EET)
> Kai Makisara <Kai.Makisara@xxxxxxxxxxx> écrivait:
>
>> the patch implements the following: if the
>> size is 1, the driver tells the drive to use default partitioning for
>> two partitions. For the HP Ultrium this should result in partition 0
>> of 1425 GB and 1 of 37.5 GB. I don't know if this is a useful
>> addition.
>
> Oh BTW I didn't check what's happening in code, but actual values
> should be 37.5 GB for partition 0 and 1425 GB for partition 1, not the
> other way around.

What I quoted is from the HP manual. The driver tells the drive to format
the tape according to the default of the drive (i.e., sets the FDP bit in the
mode page).

The order of partitions is an interesting question. The usual use case is
to have a small partition for the index and a large partition for the data.
The small partition should positioned so that it can be accessed fast. For
the old really linear drives this means the beginning. It was decided that
the first partition on the tape was given number one and the second
partition had the number zero. The HP LTO seems to use this numbering
for the default.

The SCSI standard does not specify how the partitions should be numbered.
Many drives use physically sequential numbering nowadays. LTO uses
wrap-wise partitioning and I don’t think locations of the partitions have any
effect on access speed.

Kai