Re: LSI megasas and duplicate erroneous devices?

On Sat 29 Aug 2015 09:00:44 AM Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:
> I'm seeing the strangest thing with my M1015/LSI card.
>
> I'm getting regular DID_BAD_TARGET errors in the kernel log for a drive that
> was erroneously detected.
>
> Inital detection looks like:

[snip]

> Note, this drive is a duplicate of either 0:0:13:0, or 0:0:16:0, there are
> only two WD Reds in this system. Two of the ports on the card are
> unpopulated.

*sigh* It appears there are actually three WD Reds in the system. So the
problem isn't near as weird as i thought. I noticed the drive was actually
visible a few minutes ago and it had a different S/N than the other WD's. I
decided to take a look at the drives, and make sure all cables were seated
properly, and while i was in there i took a can of compressed air to the
entire box. Upon boot the drive was detected immediately, and so far hasn't
dropped off, but it never dropped right away, so we'll see what happens. I'm
running `badblocks -w` on it to see if it encounters any errors at all. If
theres no errors, It'll go back into service as a spare in a raid6 array.

I've had to mess with that system so many times the past year I forgot I ended
up putting three new WD's in there after a few Seagate's failed.

So there we go. Nothing here unless it drops out again. I apologize for the
noise.

[snip]

--
Thomas Fjellstrom