Re: [patch 069/104] lib/string_helpers.c:string_get_size(): remove redundant prefixes

On Thu, 12 Feb 2015 15:45:29 -0800 James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > I don't get it.  As the man says, this is presently dead code and
> > string_get_size() will need to be changed to work for disks larger than
> > 2^64 bytes.  That change may be to take a u128 or it may be as you
> > suggest: replace the `u64 size' with `u64 size, u64 units' which is
> > effectively the same thing.
>
> The first thing someone's going to do is pass in blocks, because that's
> the way the rest of block functions. If we're lucky the add "ZB" too,
> but if not we run off the end in some obscure large cluster somewhere.
> Don't set people up to make mistakes.

Well maybe.  A little bit.  But it assumes that someone is going to
make a change then not test it.

> > > So fix the bug, don't set us up to run off the end of the array.  And
> > > please consult the community which keeps track of this rather than
> > > trying to get it into Linux without review.
> >
> > That seems a bit harsh - you've been cc'ed on this every step of the way.
>
> I think you need to check your scripts.  This is the first time I've
> seen this patch, which is why I'm reacting this way.

No, James.Bottomley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx was cc'ed on the original
email and on the -mm spam.

Perhaps Rasmus should should also have cc'ed linux-scsi - practice
seems to vary a lot.  But he did cc the scsi maintainer and the author
of the patch he was modifying (yourself).

So I think the patch is reasonable and the way Rasmus and I handled it
is also reasonable.  Going nuts at us over it isn't reasonable!