Re: [Lsf-pc] [LSF/MM TOPIC] Unifying the LIO and SCST target drivers

On 02/03/15 11:06, Dr. Greg Wettstein wrote:
> On Jan 19,  1:21am, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
>> On Thu, Jan 15, 2015 at 05:13:00PM +0100, Bart Van Assche wrote:
>>> My goal is to realize this proposal without adding hooks for out-of-tree
>>> code in the upstream kernel. What I had in mind is to raise the
>>> abstraction level of the API between LIO core and target drivers a
>>> little bit (e.g. by using accessor functions where necessary instead of
>>> accessing structure members directly)
>
>> That's very much a hook, althiugh a week one.
>>
>> Either way I don't think bringing up a very much political topic
>> without even any code to discuss isn't a very valueable use of our time
>> slots.
>
> There is code, no one is bothering to look at it or understand the
> issues involved.
>
> It takes a six line patch to the in-kernel Qlogic target driver for
> SCST to leverage and contribute positively to the state of the
> in-kernel driver.  A six line patch, which if we were engaging in
> grounded engineering discussions, implements an interface which we
> haven't found anyone who suggests is unfounded.

Hi Greg,

Thanks for your feedback. Although I certainly value your work, please
note that what I proposed goes further than what you have done. If I
understood your e-mails correctly what you have done is to unify the API
between the QLogic initiator and target drivers for SCST and LIO. My
proposal comprises not only a unification of the initiator drivers but
also of the target drivers.

Last week I finally found the time to start working on an sample
implementation of such a unified driver. I hope that I will be able to
make that code available for review somewhere next week.

Bart.