Re: Issues with commit 34b48db6 ("block: remove artifical max_hw_sectors cap")

On Tue, 30 Dec 2014, James Bottomley wrote:

> > All right.  How does this patch look?
>
> OK, I suppose.  The transfer limits are a little on the low side, but
> for usb-storage (i.e. non-UAS) performance devices, they should be OK.

If you're referring to the 32-KB and 64-KB limits, we know from
experience that some devices really do need them.  If you're referring
to the 32-MB limit...  Well, that's what this whole thread is about,
right?

That limit could be restricted to apply only when a device is not
connected over a SuperSpeed USB-3 link.  But knowing the low quality of
commodity USB hardware, I suspect it wouldn't work well.

> For TYPE_TAPE, you still have no guarantee that the bridge won't screw
> up ... and if the argument is that tapes are always connected to
> sensible bridges, why aren't SATA devices?

True, we have no guarantee.  But tape drives do have special
requirements because of the way they write blocks and gaps; this code
was added by someone with a tape drive who did need the large limit.

I guess there are a lot more bridges in the low-budget consumer world
targeted to disk drives than to tape drives.  That could explain a lot.

> There's also a spelling mistake below.

I'll fix it in the final patch submission.  Thanks.

Alan Stern

PS: What's the current situation of my "SCSI: fix regression in
scsi_send_eh_cmnd()" patch:

	http://marc.info/?l=linux-scsi&m=141658469207765&w=2

submitted on November 21?  Since it was a bug-fix, I rather expected it
to get merged before 3.18 was released.  Since it didn't, I certainly
hope it will get in before 3.19.