Re: Large disk drives

On Wed, 5 Nov 2014, James Bottomley wrote:

> On Tue, 2014-11-04 at 11:14 -0500, Alan Stern wrote:

> > > Realistically no ... unless someone comes up with a reliable heuristic
> > > to give us the size.
> >
> > I posted a patch to allow the user to override the reported capacity:
> >
> > 	http://marc.info/?l=linux-scsi&m=140993840113445&w=2
> >
> > Nobody responded to it.
>
> Sorry, meant to.  In principle I'm OK with this as the lever for the
> hack (largely because it means we don't need to do anything) but will
> the distributions support it?

While I can't speak for the distributions, it's reasonable to assume
that if something becomes part of the upstream kernel then they will
include it.

> OK, but I still don't understand how windows gets the partition table on
> there in the first place ... that must surely be some sort of guess the
> disk size hack.

It's simpler than that: The drive is attached directly to the computer
(i.e., via SATA rather than USB) when the partition table is created.
With no USB-SATA bridge chip to mess things up, there's no problem
determining the correct capacity.

Alan Stern