Re: [RFC] hpsa: work in progress "lockless monster" patches

On 07/25/2014 09:28 PM, scameron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

hpsa: Work In Progress: "lockless monster" patches

To be clear, I am not suggesting that these patches be merged at this time.

This patchset is vs. Christoph Hellwig's scsi-mq.4 branch which
may be found here: git://git.infradead.org/users/hch/scsi.git

We've been working for a long time on a patchset for hpsa to remove
all the locks from the main i/o path in pursuit of high IOPS.  Some
of that work is already upstream, but a lot more of it is not quite
yet ready to be merged.  However, I think we've "gone dark" for a bit
too long on this, and even though the patches aren't really ready to
be merged just yet, I thought I should let other people who might be
interested have a look anyway, as things are starting to be at least
more stable than unstable.  Be warned though, there are still some
problems, esp. around error recovery.

That being said, with the right hardware (fast SAS SSDs, recent Smart
Arrays e.g. P430, with up-to-date firmware, attached to recent disk enclosures)
with these patches and the scsi-mq patches, it is possible to get around
~970k IOPS from a single logical drive on a single controller.

There are about 150 patches in this set.  Rather than bomb the list
with that, here is a link to a tarball of the patches in the form of
an stgit patch series:

https://github.com/smcameron/hpsa-lockless-patches-work-in-progress/blob/master/hpsa-lockless-vs-hch-scsi-mq.4-2014-07-25-1415CDT.tar.bz2?raw=true

In some cases, I have probably erred on the side of having too many too
small patches, on the theory that it is easier to bake a cake than to
unbake a cake.  Before these are submitted "for reals", there will be
some squashing of patches, along with other cleaning up.

There are some patches in this set which are already upstream in
James's tree which do not happen to be in Christoph's tree
(most of which are named "*_sent_to_james").  There are also
quite a few patches which are strictly for debugging and are not
ever intended to be merged.

Hmm. While you're about to engage on a massive rewrite _and_ we're having 64bit LUN support now, what about getting rid of the weird internal LUN mapping? That way you would get rid of this LUN rescan thingie and the driver would look more sane.
Plus the REPORT LUN command would actually return the correct data ...

Cheers,

Hannes
hare@xxxxxxx			      +49 911 74053 688