Write cache and surface error behaviour

Hello list,
I don't really understand this disk cache thing.
Suppose a disk with write cache enabled of writeback type: Linux receives a write completed notification (a message from the disk) when the data has reached the cache of the disk. Correct? At that point it is not considered an in-flight I/O anymore. Correct? So what happens when the disk tries to write it to the platter and discovers that there is a media error on that sector? (suppose relocation does not happen ; maybe sectors exhausted) Does Linux receive the write error upon the next flush it issues? So the error is related to the flush? And what happens if Linux never issues such flush?

Thank you
J.