Re: [Scst-devel] OSS target - VMware SCSI reservation bug conformity.

On Thu, 2014-04-03 at 13:21 -0700, Nicholas A. Bellinger wrote:
> On Wed, 2014-04-02 at 15:29 -0500, Dr. Greg Wettstein wrote:
> > On Mar 28,  8:53pm, Vladislav Bolkhovitin wrote:
> > } Subject: Re: [Scst-devel] OSS target - VMware SCSI reservation bug conform

> > > Hi Greg,
> >
> > Hi Vlad, thanks for taking the time to respond.
> >
> > > That's interesting, but, unfortunately, your message doesn't contain
> > > sufficient technical details to look at this issue, if it exists. Or
> > > do you think we are magicians who can read minds and see through
> > > walls? ;)
> >
> > Actually I did, but I assumed a maintenance contract would be needed
> > for that.
> >
> > I had the following reasons for raising the issue:
> >
> > 	1.) Does anyone in the open-source storage eco-system,
> > 	    ie. SCST/LIO whatever, have any confirmation that this
> > 	    is a known issue.
> >

> FYI guys, AFAICT this bug is specific to targets that don't support VAAI
> AtomicTestandSet (COMPARE_AND_WRITE), and need to use the legacy SCSI-2
> reservations instead.

This would be a significant problem.  SCSI-2 reservation holders have to
be aware of resets and reapply the reservation accordingly.  When I
worked at SteelEye, we used a reservation ping and reset detection
mechanism for this ... of course, that was before we switched to SCSI-3
reservations in 2005 ... why is VMware still using legacy SCSI-2?

The "bug" seems to be that VMware is using legacy reservations but not
maintaining them properly.  There's not much anyone can do to fix that.
SCSI-2 reservations have to be dropped on reset and if no-one maintains
them, they can't get magically reapplied because a reset is the way they
get broken for a dead node.  SCSI-3 reservations are reset immune, so
why isn't VMware using them (that's why SteelEye switched, for the
predictability in the face of fabric problems)?

James