Re: Disk spin-up optimization during system resume

On Tue, 21 Jan 2014, Phillip Susi wrote:

> On 1/21/2014 11:03 AM, Alan Stern wrote:
> > However, there is a compromise.  The user gets to select the
> > autosuspend delay.  If that delay is set to a very large value, it
> > will effectively prevent autosuspends from occurring, without
> > causing an already-suspended device to resume right away.  (On the
> > other hand, it would not prevent a lazy resume.)
>
> Right, so why can't you set the delay to -1 without waking the already
> sleeping drive up?  There are separate sysfs knobs for the delay and
> whether or not it is enabled, yet the kernel seems to couple the two
> together.

Right now, setting the delay to -1 is taken to mean that runtime PM
should be disabled.  Hence, if the device is suspended, it has to be
resumed.  (The reason is historical; in the earliest implementation of
runtime PM, there was no way to disable it other than to set the delay
to -1 -- there was no separate sysfs knob.)

You are suggesting that the meaning be changed: The kernel would never
initiate an autosuspend, but runtime PM would still be enabled so the
device would remain suspended if it already was.

I can't think of any reason why that would cause any problems.  I'll
suggest it in a new thread on the linux-pm mailing list.  It's somewhat
off-topic for this thread.

Alan Stern