Re: REQ_PM vs REQ_TYPE_PM_RESUME

On Mon, 6 Jan 2014, Phillip Susi wrote:

> The issue is that the REQ_PM flagged REQUEST SENSE command issued
> during the system_resume is never dispatched.  I patched scsi_execute
> to make the request type REQ_TYPE_PM_RESUME and that got the request
> dispatched.

Note that REQ_TYPE_PM_RESUME is a fossil.  It is used for power
management in the legacy IDE driver and nowhere else (although there is
a single vestige of that use remaining in the block layer).  It should
be removed -- if anybody feels like cleaning up the IDE driver.

> Looking at the code a bit more today, it looks like REQ_PM has
> blk_peek_request return the request to scsi_request_fn, but it refuses
> to dispatch it unless it is of type REQ_TYPE_PM_RESUME apparently
> because the queue is stopped.  I suppose now the question is why is it
> stopped?

Indeed.  I can't see any place where the SCSI or block layers would
stop the queue of a device when it gets runtime suspended.  Maybe some
other layer is doing this.

Alan Stern