Re: [SCSI] qla2xxx: Question about out-of-order SCSI command processing

On Tue, Dec 3, 2013 at 7:25 AM, James Bottomley
<James.Bottomley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Well, no, we could have used Ordered instead of Simple tags ... that
> would preserve submission order according to spec.  This wouldn't really
> work for SATA because NCQ only has simple tags.

Thanks a lot James for your comments. Is it possible to configure TCQ
mode to the Ordered tag instead of Simple tags? I understand that NCQ
does not support Ordered tags but I think it would be nice to keep
this functionality as an option for other SCSI targets like qla2xxx.
I can see the discussion about TAG ordering in the mailing list.
However, I am not sure if it is functional right now or not.

> The point is that our
> granular unit of ordering is between two barriers, which is way above
> the request/tag level so we didn't bother to enforce tag ordering.

Does a barrier force flush all in_flight SCSI commands ? Based on my
understanding if we put a barrier between multiple requests, it wont
return until TCQ process all in_flight scsi commands. Which means we
can not keep a fixed load on TCQ and it would certainly reduce the
throughput of our application.

> However, handling
> strict ordering in the face of requeuing events like QUEUE FULL or BUSY
> is hard so we didn't bother.

We have a peace of code to monitor in_flight requests and avoid
QUEUE_FULL events. However, would you please let us know a case that
cause a BUSY events ? Does it means the scsi target is busy processing
other requests with-in the same host machine ?