Re: Race condition between "read CFQ stats" and "block device shutdown"

On 09/26/2013 06:23 PM, Anatol Pomozov wrote:
> Hi
>
> On Thu, Sep 26, 2013 at 7:18 AM, Hannes Reinecke <hare@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On 09/26/2013 03:54 PM, Tejun Heo wrote:

>>> I have no idea.  Hopefully, not too far out.  Jens would have better
>>> idea.

>>> The first step would be identifying who are actually making use of
>>> lock switching, why and how much difference it would make for them to
>>> not do that.
>>>
>> Typically, the lock is being used by the block drivers to
>> synchronize access between some internal data structures and the
>> request queue itself. You don't actually _need_ to do it that way,
>> but removing the lock switching would involve quite some redesign of
>> these drivers.
>> Give that most of the are rather oldish I really wouldn't want to
>> touch them.
>
> Thanks for the info.
>
> We use modified version of "sbull" block device driver from GKH book.
> We use it for testing block device startup/shutdown path + CFQ
> manipulation.
>
> The sbull driver uses function
> blk_init_queue(..., &dev->qlock);
>
> it passes lock as a second parameter and function makes the lock
> swapping. According to your information passing lock to
> blk_init_queue() considered as an "old non recommended way" so we
> should modify our driver and avoid doing this. I'll take a look.

Yep. I would recommend to use the queue_lock directly whenever you
need to pull requests off the request_queue, and use your own lock
to protect any internal structures associated with handling the
request internally.

Yes, this _might_ involve some lock dancing between the queue_lock
and the internal lock, but has the advantage that the internal lock
typically it used far more often than the queue_lock itself.
So you might even get some speed advantage here as you reduce
contention on the queue_lock.

Cheers,

Hannes
hare@xxxxxxx			      +49 911 74053 688