RE: SCSI mid layer and high IOPS capable devices

Steve,

Thanks for share detail of your problem.

Yes you ?re right about test I talk. Now I know what you want to discuss on
this thread.

Jack

Right, but if I understand you correctly, you're ganging up 24 device queues
and measuring aggregate iops across them all.  That is, you have 24 SAS
disks all presented individually to the OS, right? (or did the controller
aggregate them all into 1 logical drive presented to the OS?)

I'm talking about one very low latency single device capable of let's say
450k iops all by itself.  The problem is that with the scsi mid layer in
this case, there can only be a single request queue feeding that one device
(unlike your 24 request queues feeding 24 devices.)  That single request
queue is essentially single threaded -- only one cpu can touch it at a time
to add or remove a request from it.  With the block layer's make_request
interface, I can take advantage of parallelism in the low level block driver
and get essentially a queue per cpu feeding the single device.  With the
scsi mid layer, the low level driver's queue per cpu is (if I am correct)
throttled by the fact that what is feeding those lld queues is one
(essentially) single threaded request queue.  It doesn't matter that the
scsi LLD has a twelve lane highway leading into it because the scsi midlayer
has a 1 lane highway feeding into that 12 lane highway.  If I understand you
correctly, you get 800k iops by measuring 24 highways going to 24 different
towns.  I have one town and one highway.  The part of my highway that I
control can handle several hundred kiops, but the part I don't control
seemingly cannot.

That is why scsi_debug driver can't get very high iops on a single
pseudo-device, because there's only one request queue and that queue is
protected by a spin lock.  perf shows contention on spin locks in
scsi_request_fn()  -- large percentage of cpu time spent trying to get spin
locks in scsi_request_fn().  I forget the exact number right now, but iirc,
it was something like 30-40%.

That is sort of the whole problem I'm having, as best I understand it, and
why I started this thread.   And unfortunately I do not have any very good
ideas about what to do about it, other than use the block layer's make
request interface, which is not ideal for a number of reasons (e.g. people
and software (grub, etc.) are very much accustomed to dealing with the sd
driver, and all other things being equal, using the sd driver interface is
very much preferable.)

With flash based storage devices, the age old assumptions that "disks" are
glacially slow compared to the cpu(s) and seek penalties exist and are to be
avoided which underlie the design of the linux storage subsystem
architecture are starting to become false.  That's kind of the "big picture"
view of the problem.

Part of me thinks what we really ought to do is make the non-volatile
storage look like RAM at the hardware level, more or less, then put a ramfs
on top of it, and call it done (there are probably myriad reasons it's not
that simple of which I'm ignorant.)

-- steve