Re: SCSI disk IO problem with JBOD

Hi Stan,

Thanks for replying!

We have a Dell R610 server running CentOS 6.3 (kernel
2.6.32-279.2.1.el6.x86_64).  We installed a LSI 9201-16e SAS HBA in it,
upgraded to the latest firmware (9116 chipset).  Then we attached a LSI
DE2660 JBOD array to it, with 60 hard drives.

TTBOMK LSI never made a 60 drive JBOD chassis.  Is this actually 3x 24
bay JBOD chassis daisy chained?  Did you buy them on Ebay or are these
simply being redeployed?  All LSI drive chassis, both JBOD and SAN/DAS
RAID, have been discontinued for quite a while.

Technically it is a E2660 Engenio "expansion" Array. These arrays are indeed 60 disks (in 4RU), they are front loading with 5 12-disk "trays" connected to a common backplane. NetApp recently acquired the LSI Engenio division, so I guess really it isn't LSI anymore, but now NetApp. It was purchased like 4 months ago right before NetApp took over the group.

First remove and re-seat all SFF8088 cables.  Then replace them one by
one until the errors/problems are eliminated.  If not test each chassis
expander module individually with only one in the chassis.  Test it in
both module bays.  Basic process of elimination stuff.

I've not tried it with only one expander in the chassis, good idea.

Given you're receiving errors on multiple drives I'd say you have a bad:

1.  Cable
2.  Backplane
3.  Expander module
4.  PSU

Yeah something is weird, I seem to be receiving errors on every single drive. Either it's a driver issue or maybe even with the HBA, or something weird with the array/backplane.

Thanks for the reply!

cheers,
erich