scsi_wait_scan and scsi_complete_async_scans

James or anyone else:

The purpose of the scsi_wait_scan module is to provide a method for
initramfs images to wait until all the SCSI drives available at boot-up
have been discovered and probed, so that the drive containing the root
filesystem will be available when the time comes to mount it.

Now, in include/scsi/scsi_scan.h, the declaration of
scsi_complete_async_scans() depends on CONFIG_SCSI.  If the SCSI core
is built as a module, scsi_complete_async_scans() is defined as an
empty inline routine.

This doesn't seem to make any sense.  The drive containing the root
filesystem needs to be available for mounting regardless of whether
scsi_mod is built into the kernel or is loaded as a module within an
initramfs image.

In short, is there any reason not to remove the "#ifdef CONFIG_SCSI"
from include/scsi/scsi_scan.h?

My reason for asking is because I need to fix a bug in scsi_pm.c, and
the fix involves calling scsi_complete_async_scans().  This has to
happen even when CONFIG_SCSI isn't defined, so I'd like to change the
header file.  If necessary, I can put the call in scsi_wait_scan.c
inside a "#ifdef CONFIG_SCSI" block.

Alan Stern