Re: [Lsf-pc] [LSF/MM TOPIC] [ATTEND] Storage management (API & Library)

On Thu, 26 Jan 2012 12:53:16 -0800
Andy Grover <agrover@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 01/25/2012 09:44 AM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > There's another project which is creating a very ad-hoc storage
> > management abstraction, the nova-volume code in openstack.  Right now
> > it supports iSCSI with a few vendor-specific extensions for management,
> > RBD and sheepdog, but it looks like the numbers of vendors that want
> > to be supported is growing.
> >
> > See https://github.com/openstack/nova/blob/master/nova/volume/driver.py
> > and other files in that directory for the little bits that exist at the
> > moment.
>
> <two minutes prior>
> On 01/25/2012 09:42 AM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> > Wrapping tools from libraries is more of a last resort than a proper
> > solution.  But if we can't get better APIs that's probably what we
> > will have to resort to if vendors don't cooperate.
>
> Nova is wrapping cmdline tools

I think that some drivers are better a bit. For example, looks like
SolidFire uses the REST API to talk to their storage:

https://review.openstack.org/gitweb?p=openstack%2Fnova.git;a=commit;h=47a357bd2b46a2279a98ed726facd2b12fe0a0f5

, and all the vendors interested so far
> are foss/cloudy.

True (HP lefthand is supported though).

> This definitely shows others see a need for an API, but if we really
> want big storage vendor buy-in, then a better (C?/sockets?) API and
> working with non-foss code seems key.

Agreed.