Re: [GIT 3.2-rc PATCH 0/8] isci: platform and hardware enabling updates

On Fri, 2011-12-16 at 16:53 -0800, Dan Williams wrote:
> These are priority updates, targeted for inclusion in 3.2-final, for the
> driver to honor the latest definition of oem parameters and support the
> latest revision of silicon.  The oem parameter format (phy configuration
> settings passed along from platform firmware) has been updated to
> revision 1.3, current driver only supports 1.0.  The C1 silicon update
> involves updates to the per-silicon-revision hard-coded phy tuning
> recipes.

The -rc tree is for bug fixes only, not whatever you choose to call
"priority updates".  We have long established the position that a driver
update, even to support new hardware, isn't a bug fix ... the
distributions apply it through their enhancement processes. See below
for the individual comments

> This also updates the driver version from v1.0 to v1.1 to remove the
> stale EXPERIMENTAL tag and reflect the C1 level of silicon support.
>
> A performance fix and a fix for a crash that can be triggered by
> enabling a dev_dbg() statement are also included.
>
> Please apply, or pull from:
>
>   git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/djbw/isci.git fixes
>
> ...to receive:
>
> Dan Williams (2):
>       isci: cleanup oem parameter and recipe handling

This isn't a bug fix

>       isci: update version to 1.1
>
> Dave Jiang (1):
>       isci: oem parameter format v1.1 (ssc select)
> Jeff Skirvin (3):
>       isci: update afe (analog-front-end) recipe for C1
>       isci: oem parameter format v1.3 (cable select)

New silicon support is an enhancement not a bug fix (last three patches)

>       isci: link speeds default to gen 2

This might be viewed as a but fix ... with a better description.

> Maciej Trela (1):
>       isci: remove unused 'isci_tmf->device' field

This isn't a bug fix.

> Marcin Tomczak (1):
>       isci: performance-fix, shorten default "no outbound task" timeout

I don't quite see from the description how this is a performance
enhancement?  It does nothing in the single initiator case, right?

James