Re: Locking scheme of /proc/scsi/scsi

Dne Út 22. listopadu 2011 10:16:23 Hannes Reinecke napsal(a):
> On 11/22/2011 09:59 AM, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
> > On 11/21/2011 06:32 PM, Petr Tesarik wrote:
> >> Hi folks,
> >>
> >> I've been working on a kernel crash dump of an ancient kernel recently,
> >> and I have come to the conculsion that walking the scsi devices via
> >> bus_find_device() is completely flawed. While looking for an upstream
> >> fix, I didn't find any, so the same flaw is probably still there.
> >> However, let me ask here to check how this is supposed to work.
> >>
> >> First, this is how I understand the issue. The "/proc/scsi/scsi" file is
> >> handled as a pretty standard seqfile, iterating over the devices with
> >> the following function:
> >>
> >> static inline struct device *next_scsi_device(struct device *start)
> >> {
> >>
> >> 	struct device *next = bus_find_device(&scsi_bus_type, start, NULL,
> >>
> >> 					      always_match);
> >>
> >> 	put_device(start);
> >> 	return next;
> >>
> >> }
> >>
> >> The returned value is used for the next iteration. Now,
> >> bus_find_device() assumes that the device is still attached to the
> >> knode_bus klist, because that's how it initializes the klist iterator.
> >> When it finds the next device, it increments the reference count on the
> >> device with get_device(), but it doesn't do anything about the
> >> knode_bus field. So, when somebody calls scsi_remove_device() on the
> >> current device between two calls to
> >>
> >> next_scsi_device, then it does:
> >> 	if (sdev->is_visible) {
> >>
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> 		device_del(dev);
> >>
> >> which in turn calls:
> >> 	bus_remove_device(dev);
> >>
> >> which does:
> >> 		if (klist_node_attached(&dev->p->knode_bus))
> >>
> >> 			klist_del(&dev->p->knode_bus);
> >>
> >> So, even though the struct device has a non-zero refcount, the code in
> >> next_scsi_device cannot continue, because it only has a stale pointer to
> >> an already detached klist, right?
> >>
> >> At least that's what I saw in 2.6.16, and I can still see the same thing
> >> possible in 3.1.
> >
> > Hmm. Looks like we need to increase the refcount to knode_bus when
> > we iterate devices.
> > Let me check ...
>
> No, this seems to be okay. klists are protected by their own
> refcounting in ->n_ref (via klist_dec_and_del()), so the list
> processing can continue.

Of course it has its own refcounting, and that's exactly my point! The last
reference can be dropped with klist_del() in bus_remove_device(). The seqfile
doesn't hold any reference to the knode_bus klist node. The obvious fix is to
add the extra reference somehow before it is dropped in bus_find_device() with

	klist_iter_exit(&it);

> However, seeing that you're working with 2.6.16 there has been a
> rather serious issue with scsi device scanning, which has been fixed
> by 32aeef605aa01e1fee45e052eceffb00e72ba2b0.

Thank you for the pointer. This is patches.fixes/scsi-restart-lookup-by-target
in the SLES kernel, and you added it yourself. ;-)

Cheers,
Petr Tesarik
SUSE LINUX