Re: Good SAS adapters for 6 Gb/s SATA SSD's (with TRIM)?

On 08/12/2011 10:24 AM, Prof. Dr. Klaus Kusche wrote:
On 2011-08-12 11:01, Ric Wheeler wrote:
Lukas has a more generic bulk tool that should do the job and has the
advantage that it does not have to fill the file system first (it can
lock regions and do its work).

Any pointers to that?

I think that the easiest (and most natural way) to do this is through the updated fsck (-K) tool which will discard the unused block ranges when you fsck a file system.

Lukas can add in details about versions, etc :)

Thanks!

Note that discard is not just for physical devices like SCSI or ATA, it
is also useful for "software" stacks like various device mapper targets,
virtual block devices, etc so we should be keeping the abstraction at a
high level for our tooling.

I agree, but wiper.sh has been the first such tool and is widespread
and well-known. I'm not aware of alternatives using the generic fstrim
command (which is still missing on some major distributions)
or FITRIM ioctl.

FITRIM is somewhat misnamed. It will end up issuing a discard to the storage stack, not an ATA specific TRIM command (invoking sb_issue_discard()).

Anything that uses FITRIM should work if I followed the code correctly,

Ric