Re: 3Ware 9550SX on MIPS

On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 3:56 PM, Matt Turner <mattst88@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 6:49 PM, adam radford <aradford@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Fri, Aug 5, 2011 at 2:34 PM, Matt Turner <mattst88@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>
>>> the card will fit in. I've tried 3Ware's tw_cli utility under qemu:
>>
>> That will not work.
>
> Any particular reason? I can see in the strace output that it finds
> the card in /sys/devices/pci*/host*/.

It looks like the ioctl()'s aren't going through from tw_cli in qemu
down to the driver correctly.

>>> Are there any ways to configure this card through /proc or /sys? I
>>> simply want to get the card to export the single disk to the OS.
>>
>> You can put the board and drive into an x86 box, hit alt-3 at 3ware
>> option rom bios, configure a single disk raid unit, then put it back
>> in your MIPS system.
>>
>> Unfortunately configuring the card through /proc or /sys would involve
>> many thousands of lines of code (more than exist currently in the
>> driver) to create and populate complex raid descriptor structures, and
>> this code need not be in-kernel.
>
> I'd be perfectly satisfied with an open source tw_cli I could use on MIPS.
>
>> I have PPC32/64, but no MIPS box, otherwise I could build you a tw_cli
>> binary that would work.
>
> I do have a PowerMac G5 with 3.3V PCI-X. Could I configure it somehow with that?

Yes, I have just emailed you (off-list) a PPC64 tw_cli statically
linked binary.  If you have Linux on your PPC64, you can put your card
in there, load the 3w-9xxx driver, then run tw_cli to configure a raid
unit, then put it back in your MIPS box.