Re: [GIT] isci: towards the v3.0 merge candidate

On Mon, Jun 06, 2011 at 06:06:05PM -0700, Dan Williams wrote:
The libsas-pending, x86-pending, and subsequently upstream-pending
branches are now closed with the inclusion of v3.0-rc2 into 'master'.

Can you generate a tree without the merge commits?

Sure...

git log --pretty=oneline bcd0d38e^..devel --reverse drivers/scsi/isci/ | awk '{ print $1 }' | while read p; do stg pick $p; done

...but can you clarify why? I've been deliberately conservative on the merges (3 out of ~300 commits) after having taken notes from Linus about avoiding rebasing and valuing stable commit ids for published trees. This very last merge with rc2 was done to pull in the pci_map_biosrom enabling and libsas fixes because I assumed we would only have one shot at 3.0, and feared that straggling post merge fixups might get deferred. Also wanted to get test exposure on 3.0 since that is the upstream kernel users will first encounter.

Conspicuously missing is significant progress toward the request to
merge the isci_ and scic_sds_ level of data structures.  This is mainly
due to taking a break on the cleanups to knock down bugs and missing
features, but it also comes back to biting the bullet on more rename
thrash.  Patches like "isci: remove 'min memory' infrastructure" give me
pause because they indicate we still have work to do on clarifying the
data structures and shrinking the number of members (the meat / hard
work of the cleanup).  A rename is icing (still necessary) at this
point, but working on closing out bugs before going down that road.

Questions / suggestions on how to proceed on the cleanup versus bug
fixing for the 3.0 merge are welcome.

I think we really need to get the main data structures and the naming sorted
out.  Also the development process really would benefit from more frequent
posting of updates.

So let's do the rename after finalizing some bug fixes... after the marathon effort to try to hit .39 I'm ready for some functional patches for a change.

Adam Gruchala (1):
       isci: Added support for C0 to SCU Driver

Please make the silicon revision per-pdev.  Even if you only happen to
one in any given system now this is plain ugly.

Agreed that's why the changelog said:

Support for previous silicon revisions is
deprecated (it's also broken for the theoretical case of multiple
controllers at different silicon revisions, all the more reason to get
it removed as soon as possible)

Dan Williams (3):
       Revert "isci: Add missing PCI IDs"
       isci: remove 'min memory' infrastructure
       isci: use pci_map_biosrom

Dave Jiang (3):
       isci: removing the kmalloc in smp request construct
       isci: Retrieve the EFI variable for OEM parameter
       isci: Removing unused variables compiler warnings

Edmund Nadolski (10):
       isci: replace isci_timer list with proper embedded timers

Please don't add those sci_timer wrappers.  del_timer already makes
sure it is cancelled, it just doesn't wait for the execution of
previous timers, so your additional cancel flag doesn't buy anything.

It makes the implementation functionally equivalent with what we had before for the following scenario:

CPUa			CPUb
			timer fires
acquires scic_lock
			spins on scic_lock
cancels timer
releases scic_lock
			acquires scic_lock
			observes cancellation
			releases scic_lock

I looked into checking timer_pending() instead of an explicit cancel flag but for this race timer_pending() has already cleared. Now, whether the code actually cares about timer callbacks running post cancellation is another consideration, but I was not prepared to prioritize time investigating that given we had a 90% solution and the pending backlog of other work.

Btw, what bugfixes have you been looking into?  There's basically none
in this update, and given the time it took to get this one out there's
not a whole lot of things in it at all.

Let's see:
1/ libsas does not consider the full time needed for sata devices to recover from resets. So we see devices drop off prematurely especially in software raid configurations. Other libsas drivers have various hard coded delays, none of which seem to consider the maximum time needed for a signature fis to arrive. We are working on an lldd local fix for this situation (to filter bcns and poll for the fis) since we don't have an opportunity to introduce any more libsas functionality for 3.0. The patches need some updating for upstreaming, or we can post them in their current form as an RFC. Ultimately this functionality likely needs a libsas-level solution, not lldd.

2/ lldd_execute_task versus lldd_dev_gone race. I've had this one on my plate for a while, but the interrupt rate on cleanups, patch review, debug etc has been prohibitive. In any event as I dig in I'm noticing other cleanups along the path like the min memory patch. This fix involves expanding lock coverage to enable atomic device stopping. I'd rather not promote all allocation to GFP_ATOMIC so I'm going to switch to preallocated requests. This change also allows io_request_table to be removed. The next complication is the device "stopping" state, the fact that there might be some post notification cleanup is irrelevant to the submission path and libsas, so I want to arrange for devices to atomically disappear. The blocker for this is the per device reqs_in_process list that require us to hold on to our isci_device longer than necessary. Moving that list to a per host list (like all other libsas drivers) allows the task and device cleanup to proceed asynchronously but appear atomic to the submission path.

3/ dracut has been seen to assemble software raid arrays too early. Dig some initial digging, but right now the problem is not reproducing. But I'm wondering if the async scanning is not getting flushed correctly, or dracut is making a mistake.

4/ Took a few days to investigate and fix a distro backport regression

5/ Investigating test failures relative to the new libsas usage of libata-eh. The fact that we now run error recovery for every single sata device in the domain is initially alarming, but maybe we are overlooking some level of filtering that prevents this from becoming a "reset the entire domain" event.

6/ Starting to get a handle on performance profiling to make sure there are no low hanging fruit to pick before the merge.

     Revert "isci: Add missing PCI IDs"

     This reverts commit c2af8ba9.  These ids are reserved for 3rd party
     vendors to deploy their own drivers.

This sounds wrong.  It's probably the same crap we had with all kinds of
Intel and other vendor cards where some OEM adds value by providing fake
raid and a driver of it's own.  Care to explain how not supporting them
benefits the user?

If the user chose the closed solution then two things have happened, we (the Linux community) have failed to provide a compelling open alternative, and the user's data is potentially at risk when the wrong driver is loaded. If it is anything like ahci then switching drivers could just be a matter of a bios switch, but I have not seen how this is implemented.