Re: Question about aborting commands

On 05/25/2011 03:24 PM, scameron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
>> Le 25 mai 2011 06:50,  <scameron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
>>> Or, maybe I should be reporting the CMD_ABORTED case back as
>>>
>>>        cmd->result = DID_SOFT_ERROR << 16;
>>
>> look at scsi_error.c:scsi_decide_disposition(). DID_SOFT_ERROR
>> triggers retry handling while DID_ABORT does not (at least in the tree
>> that i'm looking at).
>>

> Yes this is what I was looking at, and part of what is confusing me.
> This makes me think that DID_ABORT is the wrong thing to do, because
> it would seem that there is no retry, and yet, dd does not complain
> that one of the reads initiated on it's behalf has been aborted.
> Does that mean it copied bogus data (uninitialized memory)?  Not sure,
> but if so, that would be bad. (Easy enough to test this case.)

scsi_decide_disposition is not used in the abort path. In the abort path
commands go through scsi_eh_flush_done_q. In there you can see some
basic handling. We check if we can failfast the cmd (scsi_noretry_cmd)
and if there are enough retries. If it is not fastfailbale and there are
enough retries we retry the IO by calling scsi_queue_insert.

If there are not enough retries or we want to fastfail it then
scsi_finish_command is called like is done in the normal completion path
from (scsi_softirq_done -> scsi_decide_disposition -> (look at return
value) -> scsi_finish_command.

>From scsi_finish_command the cmd is then handled like in the normal path
where something like the ULD done function is called then
scsi_io_completion is.

So as you can see from scsi_eh_flush_done_q, the scsi layer does not
really look at what you return and do anything with it. There is just
the basic check for if the IO is fastfailable. When I added that code,
it looked like most drivers returned a wide range of values and in some
cases did not return anything (if a driver does not set anything for the
result then there is that check in scsi_eh_flush_done_q that sets the
DRIVER_TIMEOUT bit).

I do not know what the policy is. I have been converting drivers to
return something useful when they want to control if IO is fastfailed in
this path.