Re: TCM/LIO ib_srpt testing

On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 12:19 +0200, Bart Van Assche wrote:
> On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 11:37 PM, Nicholas A. Bellinger
> <nab@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2011-05-17 at 12:37 +0200, Vasilis Liaskovitis wrote:
> > > In the past, using branch tcm_ib_srpt-38, I have successfully
> > > initialized the srp target and initiator with the "manual steps" in:
> > > http://linux-iscsi.org/wiki/SCSI_RDMA_Protocol#Manual_steps
> > >
> > > However with master, the manual steps fail at:
> > > root@server1:~# mkdir -p /sys/kernel/config/target/srpt/mlx4_0/mlx4_0/lun/lun_0
> > > mkdir: cannot create directory
> > > `/sys/kernel/config/target/srpt/mlx4_0': Invalid argument
> > > Has the recommended ib_srpt initialization procedure changed recently?
> >
> > Yes.  In order for ib_srpt to properly work with rtslib+rtsadmin, the
> > control plane has been changed from Bart's original patch to reference
> > HW IB Port GUID instead of the symbolic /sys/class/infiniband/ name
>
> Most users expect the original behavior. If you agree I can prepare a
> new patch where the target name format can be selected via a kernel
> module parameter and in which Christoph Hellwig's recent comments are
> addressed too.

Since we don't have any real userspace to break with
/sys/kernel/config/target/srpt/ at this point, we need to avoid multiple
configfs layouts in mainline without a really solid backwards compatible
reason for needing to do so.

I don't have a strong issue with this myself, and would even be happy to
support it in lio upstream and backports if it's really useful, but I
think for mainline we have to decide on a single configfs layout for
modern v2 userspace.

Thank you for your comments,

--nab