Re: 2.6.39-rc3-git3 problem etc , reset-resistent problem

With reboot-resistent i mean, that this is a problem which, after the 1st crash, something is changed on the system so that also on subsequent reboots it crashs quickly, and this change don't go away. Only if it is explicitely deleted. This can be, for example, by changes of temporary files which are corrupted and stay corrupted and like this after reboot are used, or if there stay resident parts in the memory (perhaps by the battery current).

This problem is seldom, but right now it's happening, with a serie of the reported errors.

This problem continues also on 2.6.39-rc4-git4.

The computer crashs, tipically 1 min. (at 2.6.39-rc1) or later, 20 -60 min. after the boot. This happens mainly, if you bunzip2 or copy a big file. I think this have something to do with the memory administration, perhaps with paging.

When you reboot after such a 1st crash, then the computer crashs quickly at the beginning of the boot process, when it's init ata1.0.0. From this, my most fotos are. It looks, that the computer try to assign anything to ata1. What, that's changing often. Sometimes it's the grafic card, if before the crash I was in grafic mode.

If you then reboot again, even 10 times, then the same happens. It crashs again at the ata1 stage, or short after. Even if I use the reboot button, or switch off the computer completely. Thus, something is changed by the 1st crash, and stays changed even after re-booting or power-off.

This stops only, if I wait 5 minutes or more (what suggests that the 1st crash let something memory-resident what causes the next crashs). Or, if I boot with a stable kernel (2.6.38.3) which don't crash. Then, 2.6.39-rcX don't crash again at the ata1 stage, but later just like the 1st time (currently, if I unzip or copy a big file), however after this, subsequently it crashs again at the ata1 state, i.e. the same problem repeats.

I have no other tools, the only what I can do is, to make screen fotos.

Also, I imediately compile all new -git's . Thus, it's difficult to go back, to reproduce / repeat an error. But I'll try to make more fotos.

BUT THE KERNEL PEOPLE FINALLY SHOULD INCLUDE, THAT DMESG AT EACH BOOT GET ANOTHER SUFFIX, OR THE OLD DMESG GET A COPY dmesg.old, SO THAT AFTER A CRASH ONE CAN READ DMESG WITHOUT IT WAS OVERWROTEN !!!!!!

In a separate mail, I'll send two more screen shots of crashs.

W.Landgraf

On Fri, 22 Apr 2011 20:35:25 +0200