Re: understanding the sg_ses --raw output? so I can turn on the faulty light

On 08/02/11 15.18, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Tue, 2011-02-08 at 13:55 +0100, Jon Bendtsen wrote:

>>> It's a hex dump of the diagnostic mode page.
>>
>> I know that. What I meant was which segments in the hex dump correlate
>> to which segments in the text version of the dianostic mode page?
>
> It's what the man page says:  the byte for byte output of the diagnostic
> mode page minus the first four bytes.
>
>> How long are the segments? 8 bytes? The way it is formatted something
>> could hint that? Or is it just 4 bytes which another formatting suggests?
>
> Well the descriptor format is variable, it's documented in the SES
> standard.

Which I have not been able to find in a available standard. The
organisation wants money to show me.

I managed to find a PDF though, see my other post. Thank you for taking
your time to answer my questions.

> [...]
>>> I'd firstly validate that your lights can be flashed with the ses
>>> driver ... if they can, then look for a mistake in the hex dump.
>>
>> How can I validate that my lights can be flashed with the SES driver?
>
> well, it depends what the enclosure calls it's slots, but it would be
> something like
>
> echo 1 > /sys/class/enclosure/<dev>/<slot>/fault

I do not have those

> After making sure the ses driver is loaded and bound, of course.  Quite
> a few fault lights are hard wired, and not amenable to software
> interference (others aren't hard wired at all and only work with
> software).

ok.