Re: [LSF/MM Topic] SCSI Unit Attention Handling

On Tue, Feb 8, 2011 at 12:06 AM,  <Shyam_Iyer@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> [...]

[snip]

>> So, I wonder if adding just the ability for SCSI upper drivers (sd,
>> st, etc) to register interest in different UNIT ATTENTIONS is all that
>> interesting and whether vendors would rather have the ability to tell
>> drivers (via an ioctl, say) the UNIT ATTENTIONS they are interested
>> in, and how they should be mapped.
>>

> An ioctl implementation would not be elegant.

I was only suggesting an ioctl for informing the driver of the
ASC/ASCQ pairs of interest. To get the stream of UAs out of the kernel
a different mechanism would be used, like, say, the relayfs.

> Even if registering for UAs per vendor was envisioned there are scenarios that can cause a flurry of UAs too..
> (I initially opined to have a vendor specific implementation of logging scsi_netlink events from the scsi_device handler,
> it was gloriously shot down ;-))
>
> Consider this scenario..
>
> Above water mark.. --> Unit Attention
> Discard to free up space
> Below water mark ... -> Unit Attention
>
> Consider a ripple scenario where this repeats..
> (Although this can not happen too often it is very much akin to a thrashing scenario)
>
> The UA should be hints for the filesystem to optimize online. Here is where the thin profile can reduce the UAs.
>
> Also, you delete a file - select a good age time to discard the associated blocks(debatable and worth any good algorithm writer's salt).
> Now I am not sure if the filesystem should run an inkernel thread to do this profile management..
>
>> It might be more useful to allow user-land utilities to perform the re-
>> scanning.
>>
>> I would imagine that you will get unit attentions saying that REPORTED
>> LUNS DATA HAS CHANGED, but what other UNIT ATTENTIONS would you get?
>> If you add storage to a LUN, then perhaps CAPACITY DATA HAS CHANGED.
>>
>> Perhaps there is also a need to say things like, for these ASC/ASCQ
>> values, take the device off line, and all the rest are just advisory
>> but pass them all to user land as well.
>>

> This is a kind of policy that needs to go into the thin profile although Storage Arrays do take the device offline on reaching
> certain hard limits there is nothing like mounting a filesystem read-only ;-)

Well, yes, but Ext3/4 and XFS tend to remount the fs RO when writes to
the journal fail as well because the SCSI stack takes the device
offline :-(

If the device has lied in its response to a READ_CAPACITY or
READ_CAPACITY16 that is hard to prevent unless the file system has the
concept of a lying reserve ...

--
Regards,
Richard Sharpe