Re: TCM and the SCSI-MIB

On Sat, Jan 15, 2011 at 10:05 PM, Jeff Garzik <jeff@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 01/15/2011 01:25 PM, Bart Van Assche wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 14, 2011 at 7:40 PM, James Bottomley
>> <James.Bottomley@xxxxxxx>  wrote:
>>>
>>> [ ... ]
>>> Nicholas Bellinger (1):
>>>      target: Add LIO target core v4.0.0-rc6
>>> [ ... ]
>>
>> As anyone can see in the source file drivers/target/target_core_mib.c
>> this patch adds a significant number of new files to procfs. I thought
>> that this was considered unacceptable since a long time ? Has anything
>> changed ?
>>
>> See also http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux-2.6.git;a=blob;f=drivers/target/target_core_mib.c.
>
> Nothing has changed WRT procfs, and you are correct.
>
> But it's in now.  Submit a patch to fix this particular crapola!  :)

(trimmed CC-list and changed subject)

Hello Jeff,

As far as I can see the code in target_core_mib.c makes those counters
available to user space necessary for implementing the so-called
SCSI-MIB (RFC 4455). But that MIB does not only allow to monitor
target devices - it also allows to monitor initiator devices. A
question that not yet has been answered on this list is whether the
Linux kernel should make it possible to implement the SCSI-MIB on
Linux, and if so, for which types of devices - initiator devices only,
target devices only, or both.

Furthermore, since the code in target_core_mib.c exports all
information read-only, that implementation does not allow to implement
the read-write attributes defined in the SCSI-MIB nor to create new
rows in tables via SNMP (several MIB objects in the SCSI-MIB have
read-create access). That is a severe limitation and I'm not sure
anyone who would like to use the SCSI-MIB will be able to live with
that.

For more information, see also http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4455.txt.

Bart.