Re: [LSF/MM TOPIC] SCSI referrals support

On 01/24/2011 10:17 AM, Boaz Harrosh wrote:
> On 01/24/2011 10:04 AM, Hannes Reinecke wrote:
[ .. ]
>> Ah, if it were so easy. Currently sense codes have two problems:
>>
>> - They are limited to 96 bytes. Anything larger than that will just
>>   be discarded (or crash with your patch above :-)
>
> It will not crash.

Oh, indeed. You are right.

> I have a patchset here that expands the request/scsi_cmnd sense_buffer
> support to the maximum 260 bytes supported by the std.
>
> If you want I can revive it. It is a sweep of all drivers, but a small
> one, nothing like the accessors changes.

Please. Can you send it to me?
I have a prototype working right now, and expanding the sense buffer
would be a good idea here.

>> - They inherit the same lifetime than the scsi command. But for any
>>   decent handling you really need to push them into some
>>   asynchronous context as you might well be within an interrupt
>>   handler here.
>
> No that's fine. request->sense is a user supplied buffer that extends
> the life of scsi_cmnd. above code just copies from a scsi-layer dma-able
> buffer to the request->sense buffer. interrupt-time is fine.
>
>> I'm currently working on a handling framework using relayfs
>> (basically blktrace for SCSI Unit Attention); I can be doing a short
>> presentation at LSF if requested.
>>

> That would be interesting. Thanks

Ok, will then be doing it.

Cheers,

Hannes
hare@xxxxxxx			      +49 911 74053 688
SUSE LINUX Products GmbH, Maxfeldstr. 5, 90409 NÃrnberg
GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG NÃrnberg)