Re: Subject: [RFC 0/3] Add fc_rport attributes to further populate HBAAPIv2 HBAPortAttributes for discovered ports.

On Tue, Nov 02, 2010 at 11:34:15AM -0400, James Smart wrote:

> On 10/29/2010 3:35 PM, Chad Dupuis wrote:

> >>It looks like this mechanism only queries data from the FC nameserver.
> >>It would be useful to have the same data available for all FC drivers.
>
> I second this statement from Christof.  There is nothing in this
> that is driver-specific, so the queries should be placed in a common
> place (transport or in the hbaapi library).
>
> I'm also not a fan of the "must query for the data before calling
> fc_remote_port_rolechg()".  This stuff is informational, so I would
> prefer the queries be done after or independent of the rolechg()
> call.
>

> >>The FC BSG interface already allows sending CT requests to the FC
> >>nameserver. Could this be implemented by creating the request in
> >>common code and issue the requests through the FC BSG interface? If
> >
> >We considered using bsg as the means for getting the information to and
> >from user space but deciced that exporting the information through
> >/sys/class/fc_remote_ports was easier and probably more appropriate as
> >other attributes relating to rports are currently exported there.
>
> I'm 50/50 on this....  I do like to see all the info via sysfs files
> w/o the need for additional tools.   However, I don't like all the
> extra inodes we create for all the attributes (especially as rports
> should be many, and replicated per host path to the rport). And, I'm
> unsure where we really should start to draw the line for what's in
> sysfs vs what do you go to a tool to find out.
>
> Anyone else with an opinion ?

The currently available attributes are from the plogi data where the
LLD has to be involved; the newly proposed attributes have to be
queried from the FC nameserver. I would draw the line here: Put the
data that the LLD has to see anyway in sysfs and use a tool for
querying additional information.