Re: I/O topology fixes for big physical block size

Jens> Yes, from a correctness point of view it doesn't matter, but when
Jens> people go looking up fixes for whatever reason, it's much better
Jens> to include such a fix in the original patch so it's not missed.

I have talked to a few standards people today. They are of the opinion
that the device's usage of the physical block exponent is incorrect. And
that the device must provide the Block Limits and the TP VPD if thin
provisioning is enabled.

However, devices with 8KiB physical blocks are shipping and 16KiB ditto
are right around the corner.  Which says to me that it's important to
report the correct thing to userland so we can cause allocators to align
on the right boundaries, etc. If we artificially clamp the physical
block size parameter in the kernel we are losing information. Note that
there are no kernel users of the physical block size parameter at all.