Re: [RFC 1/2] block: implement an unprep function corresponding directly to prep

On 10-07-05 05:54 PM, Mark Lord wrote:
On 05/07/10 03:24 PM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:

What codebase were you testing on? Sorry, but curently I'm a bit lost
in the maze of patches. I've got both and intel and an OCZ SSD
..

Do you, or anyone else with one, know what the upper limit is on
TRIM operations with the Intel SSDs ?

I need to know the maximum amount of TRIM ranges they will process
in a single command.

Eg. Indilinx-based SSDs don't appear to have a limit -- they'll accept
a TRIM command with thousands of LBA ranges included.

Sandforce-based SSDs appear to restrict things to max 4KB of range data.

So.. what about Intel?

Well, I still don't know about Intel drives -- anyone?

But for the latest hardware, some manufacturers are now reporting
their TRIM limits in word[105] of the identify data,
as described (optional) in the latest draft ATA ACS-2 specs.

It appears that Sandforce drives officially only allow 512-bytes of range data.
So I'll limit hdparm's TRIM functions to match word[105] when it is specified.

The Indilinx drives I have here don't report anything in word[105], though.

Cheers