Re: [LSF/VM TOPIC] Generic SAN Management via Oracle VM Storage Connect Plugin.

On 03/31/2010 08:05 PM, Joel Becker wrote:
[ I was asked to Cc: linux-scsi, so here it is ]

[Topic]
Generic SAN Management via Oracle VM Storage Connect Plugin.

[Abstract]
Managing storage in the SAN often requires using a different tool for
each vendor in the environment.  Oracle has defined a plugin interface
for SAN management, the (sorry about the mouthful) Oracle VM Storage
Connect Plugin.  The important part is that many of our storage partners
have agreed to not only help, but actively author plugins for their
storage hardware.

While initiated for the Oracle VM product, I've written a standalone
application that uses the plugin, giving a unified view of storage that
can be managed from one place.  The program will be open source, of
course.  I'm looking for input from storage folks at LFS on what
I can do to make this even more useful to general SAN management.

Sounds interesting. I have been trying to just get initiator tools and libs that work with all hbas. We have a common iscsi tool for iscsi initiators and was hoping fcoeadmin could be made more generic to work for all fcoe and fc drivers (there is work to make a the linux hbaapi lib work for all drivers too).

Is your interface based on anything like SMI-S, or something new? It will work on the initiator and targets, right? Will it work on switches?