Re: Maximum data size in a single transfer for MS driver

On Thu, 25 Feb 2010, Martin K. Petersen wrote:

> Alan> Why is max_sectors changed?  If it is already smaller than the new
> Alan> value of max_hw_sectors, shouldn't it remain the same?
>
> We have a lot of legacy device drivers kicking around in the tree so the
> default max request size remains the conservative SAFE_MAX_SECTORS
> (255).
>
> When a low level driver explicitly tells us that it can support bigger
> requests we take the opportunity to increase the soft limit to the block
> layer default (1024).
>
> Also, this function is generally called at block device creation time so
> it's not like we're overwriting an existing user setting.

With usb-storage we've got a situation where the function can be called
later than device creation time.  This is because there's such a wide
variety among USB devices, there's no way for the driver always to know
the device's actual capabilities -- sometimes the user has to tell it.

This should work out okay with your code.  I just have to change
usb-storage so that the value it reports to the user in the attribute
file is max_hw_sectors instead of max_sectors, to reflect what's
actually being changed.

BTW, how come you didn't write it like this?

	q->limits.max_hw_sectors = max_sectors;

	if (max_sectors < BLK_DEF_MAX_SECTORS)
		q->limits.max_sectors = max_sectors;
	else
		q->limits.max_sectors = BLK_DEF_MAX_SECTORS;

For me this is easier to understand.

Alan Stern