Re: MVSAS status

> I'm still experiencing issues with this patched driver (using patches
> posted in November '09), but I believe I'm hitting known issues in the
> following Western Digital green drives.
>
> WDC WD15EADS-00P8B0
>
> I have five of those 00P8B0, some of them have a really high
> Load_Cycle_Count, or they become slow during a raid rebuild, or they
> just timeout when not using WDIDLE3.EXE (and using the default 8sec
> Intellipark feature which is really bad design) ... they are reported
> as BAD and "NOT RECOMMENDED" all over the internet. WD doesn't provide
> a decent solution yet for these.
>
> My three newer WD15EADS-00S2B0 are also running on the same Marvell
> controller and were never kicked out of the raid. Stable and decent
> speed. I didn't see any issue with those newer 00S2B0 drives, so I
> believe this is actually a WD issue and not a Marvell issue. Maybe the
> timeouts are not handled well by the Marvell driver and we're seeing
> mvs_abort_task , but that looks more like a symptom.
>
> I disabled the intellipark feature of the WD drives using WDIDLE3.EXE
> via a DOS usb bootable stick, and instead of timing out, the
> WD15EADS-00P8B0 just have become extremely slow now, iostat reports
> 1.5 MB/s writes to the  raid rebuild drive.
>
> I believe the current MVSAS patches should be good enough if you avoid
> WD Green drives;

Well,

I am still experiencing very unstable SATA hotplugging, 9 out of 10
hotplugs end up in a kernel panic (only with SATA disks, SAS is fine).
Still problems with using 3 controllers in 1 machine using SATA disks is
instant kernel panic.

Using 2.6.32.2 kernel with the november (1-6/7) patches from Andy Yan.

Kind regards,
Caspar Smit