Re: Is this a known problem with the SCSI mid layer?

stefanr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> scameron@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> [...]
> [...]
>
> The sg driver's open method takes a reference to the underlying SCSI
> device representation of the mid layer.  Among else, this step increases
> the module use count of the respective low-level driver (transport layer
> driver) so that the SCSI mid layer can be sure that function pointers to
> driver methods stay valid during the lifetime of the SCSI device
> representation.
>
> This reference taking is of course being reversed when the sg driver
> finishes its last uses of the underlying SCSI device.  This may be at
> the respective close() or even later.
>
> In short, it is normal, expected, and necessary what you are seeing.
> --
> Stefan Richter

I don't think you are correct.  Look more closely at my test cases.

When I attempt the rmmod, *nothing* has the device open.  The last
close has already occurred -- albeit *after* the device was
removed.

In my test, the module *never* becomes rmmod-able.  Doesn't matter
how long you wait, and nothing will ever decrement the reference
count.

Are you saying that this is correct behavior, that once a device
is removed while a process has it open that it shoule *never*
be rmmod'able?

Because that is the behavior I am seeing.

-- steve