Re: PATCH [1/1]: sd_remove() hangs waiting on async_synchronize of unrelated threads

James Bottomley wrote:
> On Wed, 2009-12-02 at 08:27 -0600, Michael Reed wrote:
>> James Bottomley wrote:

>>> Well, no ... the sync on remove is preventing us removing a device whose
>>> async part is still running.  That async part for libata includes pieces
>>> kicked off from the sd probe.
>> What does the call stack look like that spawns the async part of libata?
>
> it's in libata-core (and some in ahci) just do a git grep async in
> drivers/ata
>
>> What kind of hardware do I need to demonstrate this?
>
> To demonstrate what?  The out of order sequencing that can arise?  any
> ata based system with > 1 device should do.
>
> There's actually another problem with the previous patch ...
> scsi_wait_scan() also needs to synchronise with the sd probes.

Thank you for pointing this out.

>>> The problem isn't removal per se ... it's the fact that remove can't
>>> complete until any async pieces remaining from probe have run.
>> Yes, I understand that.  I didn't realize that the sd_probe resulted in any
>> async work other than sd_probe_async().  It does complicate serialization
>> at removal.
>>
>> I'll try to capture the "motivation" from within my fibre channel centric world
>> for the change and see if anyone's got some ideas on how to resolve the issue.
>
> OK ... actually describing the problem would be helpful.  The async
> schedule is only in sd_remove() to guard against add/remove races ...
> usually when we do removal, the async probing parts should be long
> finished so I don't understand why you think we would be waiting for
> stuff.

It appears that the async_synchronize_full() waits for all async threads
from whatever source.  The issue arises when there is sd_probe_async()
work active for other luns.

Lots and LOTS of luns can delay the sd_probe_async work.  I've got
over 7000 total luns on my test system via 13 different FC host adapters.
What runs quickly on a small system can take a while on this config.
Add fibre channel link up / down events or fabric changes can cause
fc_remote_port_delete() and fc_remote_port_add() calls (and associated
target scans), the time needed to process these events can exceed the
device removal timeout resulting in removes while scan is still running
and there's lots of async work pending.

I'll try to provide a more detailed problem description later today.
(I knew I should have saved those backtraces....)

Thanks for your help in explaining the issues associated with the patch.

Mike