RE: LIBSAS/MVSAS: Issues with hot-plug Out/In of disks from cascading expanders while IO is going on

Hi all,

Could you please provide me some inputs on below issues?

--Srini.
From: Srinivas Naga Venkatasatya Pasagadugula
Sent: Friday, November 20, 2009 6:44 PM
To: linux-scsi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: James Bottomley; jasonchu@xxxxxxxxxxx; ayan@xxxxxxxxxxx; kewei@xxxxxxxxxxx; tom_peng@xxxxxxxxx; aoqingyun@xxxxxxxxx; jack_wang@xxxxxxxxx; 'tom_peng@xxxxxxxxx'
Subject: LIBSAS/MVSAS: Issues with hot-plug Out/In of disks from cascading expanders while IO is going on

Hi,

I have some issues with hot-plug Out/In of disks from cascading expanders while IO is going on.
I'm using Adaptec ASC-1045/1405 which uses the Marvell 88SE6440 chip.

Test Set Up;
--------------
 Cascading of edge expanders.
 Diskstress IO test tool.

-----------------
1. For SATA: After freeing the slot info in mvs_abort_task ( ) function (same as in mvsas driver latest patch), its working as expected.
2. For SAS drives, still problem exists with hot-plugging of disks in expander while IO is going on.

Need Clarification:
----------------------
1. After hot plug out of disks from expanders, why we need to wait for timeout to happen then calling abort_task TMF to freeing the device info?
2. Once the broad cast signal is received why don't we freeing the entire device resources instead of waiting for timeout to happen?
      - Because it is taking long time to come out from IO Application and
        from fdisk -l.
3. In case of SAS why we are sending abort TMF to target which is already disconnected?
    (Note: Assumed there is no IT-Nexus support for both SAS and SATA)

Any inputs are highly appreciated.

Thanks
Srini

DISCLAIMER: