Re: Why does SCSI mid layer mark the LUN offline in this situation?

G S wrote:
Joe, James, thanks for the replies.

Bit more follow up.

I understand about the target-level change is detected by the
transport.  And the transport kicks off the scans.  And the LUN level
change is not detected by the transport.

So, my follow up comments and questions are,

a) When the disk array comes back up from restart with LUN 1 deleted,
that rebooting will cause RSCN at the transport layer.

b) HBA driver kicks off the scans, and this is scans of FC ports and
not a scan for LUN-level changes, right?
The hba, after detecting/logging in to the remote port, adds the remote port to the transport. The transport then scans the port (aka fcp target), and the scan looks for all luns subject to the responses from Lun 0 (e.g. what scsi level, report luns support, etc).

c) Is this behavior i noted in (b) at the HBA driver different between
the "standard" versus "inbox" (aka. upstream) HBA drivers?
In general, No, as most upstream drivers are also the inbox drivers. But, with older kernels/distros, you may not have the same feature level, so it may differ.

d) Does the HBA driver notify the SCSI mid layer to kick off LUN-level
scan, to look for LUN-level changes?
In general, no, although, it could.

e) If the HBA driver does not notify the SCSI mid layer of transport
level change (from RSCN), then will SCSI mid layer continue to think
that LUN 1, and kernel structures for LUN 1 will still be intact in
the SCSI mid layer?
Until the midlayer sees something from the hba/transport, or from errors reported on i/o's - yes.
f) If SCSI mid layer still has LUN 1 marked online, then should the
application (using "sg" dsf) be able to access LUN 1 once the LUN 1 is
recreated on the disk array, without having to cause manual scan
through /proc ?
As long as there's no RSCN's, etc - just a change in lun state - yes.

-- james

Thanks much,