Re: O_DIRECT and barriers

On 08/21/2009 01:45 PM, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
On Fri, Aug 21, 2009 at 04:24:59PM +0100, Jamie Lokier wrote:
In measurements I've done, disabling a disk's write cache results in
much slower ext3 filesystem writes than using barriers.  Others report
similar results.  This is with disks that don't have NCQ; good NCQ may
be better.
On a scsi disk and a SATA SSD with NCQ I get different results.  Most
worksloads, in particular metadata-intensive ones and large streaming
writes are noticably better just turning off the write cache.  The only
onces that benefit from it are relatively small writes witout O_SYNC
or much fsyncs.  This is however using XFS which tends to issue much
more barriers than ext3.

With normal S-ATA disks, streaming write workloads on ext3 run twice as fast with barriers & write cache enabled in my testing.

Small file workloads were more even if I remember correctly...

ric

Using FUA for all writes should be equivalent to writing with write
cache disabled.

A journalling filesystem or database tends to write like this:

    (guest) WRITE
    (guest) WRITE
    (guest) WRITE
    (guest) WRITE
    (guest) WRITE
    (guest) CACHE FLUSH
    (guest) WRITE
    (guest) CACHE FLUSH
    (guest) WRITE
    (guest) WRITE
    (guest) WRITE
In the optimal case, yeah.

Assuming that WRITE FUA is equivalent to disabling write cache, we may
expect the WRITE FUA version to run much slower than the CACHE FLUSH
version.
For a workload that only does FUA writes, yeah.  That is however the use
case for virtual machines.  As I'm looking into those issues I will run
some benchmarks comparing both variants.

It's also too weak, of course, on drives which don't support FUA.
Then you have to use CACHE FLUSH anyway, so the code should support
that (or disable the write cache entirely, which also performs badly).
If you don't handle drives without FUA, then you're back to "integrity
sometimes, user must check type of hardware", which is something we're
trying to get away from.  Integrity should not be a surprise when the
application requests it.
As mentioned in the previous mails FUA would only be an optimization
(if it ends up helping) we do need to support the cache flush case.

I thought about this alot .  It would be sensible to only require
the FUA semantics if O_SYNC is specified.  But from looking around at
users of O_DIRECT no one seems to actually specify O_SYNC with it.
O_DIRECT with true POSIX O_SYNC is a bad idea, because it flushes
inode metadata (like mtime) too.  O_DIRECT|O_DSYNC is better.
O_SYNC above is the Linux O_SYNC aka Posix O_DYNC.

O_DIRECT without O_SYNC, O_DSYNC, fsync or fdatasync is asking for
integrity problems when direct writes are converted to buffered writes
- which applies to all or nearly all OSes according to their
documentation (I've read a lot of them).
It did not happen on IRIX where O_DIRECT originated that did not happen,
neither does it happen on Linux when using XFS.  Then again at least on
Linux we provide O_SYNC (that is Linux O_SYNC, aka Posix O_DYSC)
semantics for that case.

Imho, integrity should not be something which depends on the user
knowing the details of their hardware to decide application
configuration options - at least, not out of the box.
That is what I meant.  Only doing cache flushes/FUA for O_DIRECT|O_DSYNC
is not what users naively expect.  And the wording in hour manpages also
suggests this behaviour, although it is not entirely clear:

O_DIRECT (Since Linux 2.4.10)

	Try to minimize cache effects of the I/O to and from this file.  In
	general this will degrade performance, but it is useful in special
	situations, such as when applications do their own caching.  File I/O
	is done directly to/from user space buffers.  The I/O is synchronous,
	that is,  at the completion of a read(2) or write(2), data is
	guaranteed to have been transferred.  See NOTES below forfurther
	discussion.

(And yeah, the whole wording is horrible, I will send an update once
we've sorted out the semantics, including caveats about older kernels)

And on Linux where O_SYNC really means O_DYSNC that's pretty sensible -
if O_DIRECT bypasses the filesystem cache there is nothing else
left to sync for a non-extending write.
Oh, O_SYNC means O_DSYNC?  I thought it was the other way around.
Ugh, how messy.
Yes.  Except when using XFS and using the "osyncisosync" mount option :)

The fallback was a relatively recent addition to the O_DIRECT semantics
for broken filesystems that can't handle holes very well.  Fortunately
enough we do force O_SYNC (that is Linux O_SYNC aka Posix O_DSYNC)
semantics for that already.
Ok, so you're saying there's no _harm_ in specifying O_DSYNC with
O_DIRECT either? :-)
No.  In the generic code and filesystems I looked at it simply has no
effect at all.