device/volume info on transport removal

I have a question about the lifetime of volume/disk info for SAN disks.

Say my server has discovered a disk/volume on a SAN (iscsi or fc).  A connection is established at the transport layer.  Presumably disk information (eg. vpd inquiry data and the like) is saved in a layer (SBC disk layer?) above the transport.

What happens if the server explicitly logs out of the session for the above disk/volume using whatever initiator tools are available to them?  Does the disk/volume info remain for some time in the higher layer(s) or do all the data structures related to that disk/volume get unplugged/removed when the transport connection is taken away?  Of course, it goes without saying that no other objects in the OS (files, devices, mountpoints) are using the disk when the logout occurs.
Thanks,
Brian

p.s. please include my email in the reply to or cc.