Re: [2.6.27.25] Hang in SCSI sync cache when a disk is removed--?

Mike Anderson <andmike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Desai, Kashyap <Kashyap.Desai@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Regarding Jame's comment I want to add some info.
> > When we enter sd_remove() which tries to flush the
> > cache with SYNCHRONIZE CACHE We are seeing system hung. In my guess, MPT driver is not even receiving command for synchronize cache. (If I refer back trace provided in first mail, scsi_dispatch_cmd() might not be called. Back trace suggests hang in scsi_get_command() just before scsi_dispatch_cmd() )
> >

> The SYNCHRONIZE CACHE is blocked by the host being in error recovery.
> Since the SYNCHRONIZE CACHE is being driven off the mpt work queue it will
> block the scsi error handler thread from completing as the
> mptscsih_host_reset leads to calling flush_workqueue which leads to this
> deadlock.
>
> In my previous email I listed the lead up events.
>
> We start with blk_abort_queue scheduling error recovery (Issue previous reported). In theory the hang issue could occur in other error handler / device delete scenarios, but with much less probability. The Linux version also does not contain support for DID_TRANSPORT_DISRUPTED so this work around cannot be used.

One solution would be to correct the problem of blk_abort_queue getting
called in these transport cases. I wanted to try and utilize the request
information now that we have request based dm-mp (and once we settle on a
proper mapping of the codes) , but that would not be an option in this
kernel. A short term solution could also be looked into.

Another option it appears would be to return DID_IMM_RETRY instead of
DID_BUS_BUSY in fusion/mptscsih.c (SAS_LOGINFO_NEXUS_LOSS). It appears
that this could come close to DID_TRANSPORT_DISRUPTED behavior in this
kernel release.

Or we can continue to look into solutions of not dead locking in recovery.

-andmike
--
Michael Anderson
andmike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx