Re: PATCH: PMC-Sierra MaxRAID driver to support 6Gb/s SAS RAID controller

On Wed, Jun 10, 2009 at 1:07 PM, Anil
Ravindranath<anil_ravindranath@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi, This patch adds a driver to support PMC-Sierra 6Gb/s SAS RAID controller.

Anil,

Thanks for posting this patch!
I'm very glad to see it. Please don't take the comments below too
negatively, they are
really targeted at the code.

And because my employer's preferred email handler is broken WRT handling patches
("reply" got word wrapped entirely...utter crap), I'll just cut/paste
the bits I'm commenting
on in this round...just some quick feedback before I bail for the day.

+/*
+ * pmcraid_driver_build_date - get the driver build date.
+ * This routine makes use of GCC's __DATE__ macro and frames an integer with
+ * month, day and year values retrieved.
+ */
+static inline int pmcraid_driver_build_date(void)
+{
+       char cdate[32];
+       char mon[12];
+       char day[12];
+       char year[12];
+       char *months[] = { "Jan", "Feb", "Mar", "Apr", "May", "Jun",
+               "Jul", "Aug", "Sep", "Oct", "Nov", "Dec"
+       };
+       int i_month, i_day, i_year;
+       int i = 0, j = 0;

All the "driver build date" stuff can be deleted.

The build date is embedded whenever someone compiles the kernel and
it's embeded in the kernel string. E.g.:
# uname -a
Linux hostA 2.6.26-2-amd64 #1 SMP Fri Mar 27 04:02:59 UTC 2009 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Folks can separately build the module. But the module version is what
matters and not the build date.
An older version with a newer build date is still an older version. At
both HP and Google, I never
cared about the build date of any driver module.

What I would be interested in are the compiler version/flags used to
build a module.
I don't know if that is captured in modinfo fields though. We should
consider doing
that by default if someone knows how to do it easily.  Kernel newbie project?

+/*
+ * pmcraid_driver_version - structure defining PMC MaxRAID controller driver
+ * version information.
+ *
+ * .day     : driver build date, day of month (1 to 31)
+ * .month   : driver build date, month of the year (1 to 12)
+ * .year    : driver build date, year
+ * .version : version number in major_version << 16 | minor version < 8 | patch
+ * .name    : driver module name
+ */

pmcraid_get_driver_version() and related code can also be deleted.
The correct way to handle this is via "modinfo".

Driver versioning is handled with MODULE_VERSION() and you've already
used that correctly.

+#if !defined(VERSION)
+#define PMCRAID_DRIVER_VERSION         "1.0.0"
+#else
+#define PMCRAID_DRIVER_VERSION         VERSION
+#endif

I'm not sure I like this. My fear is that might get defined someplace
else already.
However, I can see how it would be useful to track different .ko files when
evaluating different compilers, compiler options or other -DPMC_FAST_MODE
type flags.

In any case, "VERSION" is too generic. Please don't use that exact string.

+#define PMCRAID_DEVFILE                "pmcsas"

is defined twice in drivers/scsi/pmcraid.h.
Isn't udev or some other tool responsible for setting this up?
I don't recall any other driver encoding what it's /dev files shoud
be called.  But I'm not clueful about PMCRAID_DEVFILE use yet.

And I noticed lots of IOCTLs...some of which could be deleted.
I'll send more feedback at a later date. The above should be
something to get started on though.

thanks!
grant