Re: queue_depth tracking from LLD

Mike Christie wrote:
James Smart wrote:
The mid-layer queue depth handling is really designed/optimized around behavior for a JBOD. This, if it's a single-lun device, the LLDD could largely ignore doing anything
with adjusting the queue depth.

However, for arrays, with multiple luns, the queue depth is usually a target-level resource, so the midlayer/block-layer's implementation falls on its face fairly quickly. I brought this up 2 yrs ago at storage summit. What needs to happen is the creation of queue ramp-down and ramp-up policies that can be selected on a per-lun basis, and have these implemented in the midlayer (why should the LLDD ever look at scsi command results). What will make this difficult is the ramp-up policies, as it can be very target device-specific or configuration/load
centric.

For the rampup are you referring to code like lpfc_rampup_queue_depth? Were were just talking about this on the fcoe list. Why did lpfc and qla2xxx end up implememting their own code? We started to look into moving this into the scsi layer. It does not seem like there was a major reason why it should not have been more common. Was it just one of those things where it got added in one driver then added in another?
No good reason. It should be in the midlayer, and that was the recommendation I made at storage summit a couple of years ago. It hasn't as, for the drivers that care, they had already implemented it. It also isn't a relished task, as there will be lots of discussion on how the ramp-up should be implemented - which may mean, the need for more algorithms.
If we moved code like that to the scsi layer, then is all the is needed is a interface to config this?
Yep. As mentioned, figuring out what algorithm, for what device and configuration, will be
the more interesting thing.

-- james