Re: [eSATA] 2.6.28.7: IO errors

Hi Matthew,

On Fri, 27 Mar 2009, Matthew Wilcox wrote:

> On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 12:18:38AM +0100, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> > I'm using an external eSATA / USB / Firewire 2x1T RAID from WD in RAID1
>
> Looks like your problems are solved by
> 9062712fa9ed13b531dfc2228086650b8bd6a255

(added Tejun as the patch author and owner of similar hardware)

AFAIU, that patch improves or fixes error handling on those drives, and
the symptom, that Tejun was observing, was that the drive was hanging and
required a power cycle.

In my case the drive didn't need a power cycle, and error handling did
work, AFAICS, but even just having that error seems not healthy for the
data, which is confirmed by ext4 errors. Am I right? (BTW, I was
impressed, that after replugging the drive to firewire and running fsck on
a 800G big ext4 partition, it only needed around a second or two to replay
the journal and then it was ok! I hope the fileystem also has indeed been
repaired...)

Error handling is great, but I think what I want is to avoid such errors
altogether. So, my question was - can those errors be indeed caused by the
unstable eSATA connector in the drive? Tejun, you have similar drives, do
yours also have such a problem? How are you solving it? Is the only way to
improve the connector stability by milling the plastic casing to actually
be able to insert the connector properly or by contacting the retailer for
a replacement?... Sorry, these are not directly Linux driver questions,
but the questions are really what those error messages tell me about the
possible reasons for the problem:-)

Thanks
Guennadi
---