Re: TRIM vs UNMAP vs WRITE SAME and thin devices

Matthew Wilcox wrote:
On Sat, Feb 07, 2009 at 09:53:06AM -0500, Ric Wheeler wrote:
I have been poked at by some vendors about the status of our support for the virtually/thinly provisioned luns since they are getting close to being able to test with real devices.

My quick summary is that we most of the work so far has been done without any real hardware to play with - in 2.6.29-rc3, I don't see any low level ATA or SCSI bits that turn requests tagged with REQ_DISCARD into the specific ATA or SCSI commands. Did I miss something & if not, do we have plans to push anything upstream soonish?

Bearing in mind that I'm now three weeks behind on email, you might want
to look at
http://git.kernel.org/?p=linux/kernel/git/willy/ssd.git;a=shortlog;h=trim-20081231
which has at least one known bug (fixed by Dave Woodhouse and Ben
Herrenschmidt).  I'll be able to give a more coherent answer in a few
days.  Or maybe Dave will beat me to it ;-)

BTW when will somebody send me the 4k sector patches?  :)

	Jeff