Re: need help to merge (small) virtual scsi driver upstream.

Henrik Stokseth, on 01/21/2009 10:45 AM wrote:
FUJITA Tomonori wrote:

From a quick look at the patch, your driver links requests to a list
and then the user-space daemon reads the requests via the special
character device file and sends the response back to kernel space.

If I correctly understand what you want, there are some possible
alternatives, I guess.

Note that I'm not sure 2) and 3) is acceptable to the SCSI maintainer.

1) use iSCSI initiator and target on the same machine

First, set up iSCSI target software supporting CD/DVD. For example,
you can use tgt (http://stgt.berlios.de), user-space program.

Then you set up the iSCSI initiator to connect the target. Basically,
the iSCSI initiator works like a virtual hba as you like. The iSCSI
initiator and target communicate via tcp while your software
communicates via the special character device.

If you go with this setup, all you need are already in mainline.

I'm not sure CDEmu's users would be happy to additionally learn how to setup and use both iSCSI target and initiator..

It would be desirable for us to rely upon an interface already present
in the mainstream kernel for practical reasons.

Pardon the dumb question but is it possible to talk to the TGT framework
without using iSCSI?
SCST has a nice user-space interface but I couldn't tell whether STGT
had something similar (as documentation is pretty much non-existent).

If SCST was in the mainline kernel, the only thing you would need is to write a small glue layer between CDEmu and the user space interface, provided by scst_user module. There would be no need for any your additional kernel module. Then using scst_local module you would be able to use CDEmu facilities. Also you would be automatically able to use them on any remote initiator with any supported by SCST SCSI transport (iSCSI, Fibre Channel, etc..). STGT doesn't provide such possibility.

You can vote for SCST inclusion in the mainline kernel when in the next couple of months I will send its patches for the next iteration of the review and inclusion.

Vlad